Healthy Sesame tofu is a delicious way to prepare tofu. It’s flavorful and delicious, and it’s simple to make. Only 25 minutes are needed.
Here’s another delicious way to prepare tofu. I know this ingredient can be tricky at times, but once you figure it out, it’s a lifesaver.
I’m confident you’ll enjoy healthy sesame tofu. Continue reading if you want to learn about some other simple tofu recipes.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and is made with simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry. Besides, I think it’s one of the best healthy sesame tofu recipes I’ve ever tried.
Ingredients and Tips for Sesame Tofu
- Firm tofu: Firm or extra firm tofu works best for this sesame tofu recipe. Tofu that is soft or silken will fall apart easily.
- To make my sesame tofu, I used soy sauce, but tamari is a good gluten-free alternative. If you don’t eat soy, coconut aminos are a great substitute.
- Cornstarch: I’ve only used cornstarch in this recipe, but I’m sure any type of starch would work.
- Vinegar: I used rice vinegar to make my sesame tofu, but any type of vinegar will do.
- Sesame seed oil.
- Serve your sesame tofu with greens like vegetable tempura, vegetable stir fry, roasted carrots, or even vegetable soup.
- I used canola oil, but this sesame tofu recipe will work with any type of oil.
- Any type of sesame seed will suffice.
- You can use any type of sweetener you want, such as maple or agave syrup.
Read also: Baby oatmeal recipe
Is it Possible to Pan-fry the Tofu Instead?
Sure, if that’s what you want! Tofu should still be coated in the sesame oil/soy sauce/cornstarch mixture.
Then, in a large pan (nonstick preferred), add about 1/4 cup of oil and arrange the tofu in a single layer.
Fry in batches if necessary. Allow 2-3 minutes on one side before gently flipping and crisping on all edges.
When you pan-fry the tofu in this manner, you can simply add the sauce ingredients to the tofu in the pot, followed by the cornstarch/water mixture to thicken.
What to do With Leftovers
Refrigerate any leftover sesame tofu in a covered container for 3-4 days. Microwave for 1-2 minutes to rewarm.
Divide rice, tofu, and broccoli into containers to meal prep for lunches. Refrigerate after sprinkling with sesame seeds and chopped onions for quick grab-and-go meals.
Read also: Baby Avocado puree/recipe
To Make the Tofu
- 2 (16 oz) firm or extra-firm tofu blocks
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce *for gluten-free, use tamari
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
To Make the Sesame Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (low sodium) (or tamari)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon agave, maple syrup, or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
In Order to Serve
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- Green onions, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Broccoli steam
Read also: carrot puree recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Time to press the tofu: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Servings per recipe: 6
Method of Preparation
- Wrap each block of tofu in paper towels to press it. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, followed by a couple of heavy books. Press the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly grease or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the pressed tofu cubes with the sesame oil, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a large ziplock bag (or large bowl).
- Close the bag and gently shake it to coat. Arrange the tofu on the prepared pan in an even layer and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and crunchy.
- While the tofu bakes, prepare the rice and sauce. Combine the soy sauce, garlic, agave, seasoned rice vinegar, and Sriracha hot sauce in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth, then pour into the pan.
- Turn off the heat and continue to stir until the sauce thickens. Add the sesame oil and mix well.
- When the tofu has finished baking, add it to the sauce and stir to coat. Serve with rice, sesame seeds, green onion slices, and steamed broccoli. Relish.
Read also: BABY PUREE RECIPE SWEET POTATO
- To pan fry tofu rather than bake it, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat after mixing the tofu with the sesame oil/soy sauce/cornstarch.
- Tofu should be added in a single layer. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then carefully flip with a spatula and cook for a few minutes more on each side, until the tofu is golden and crispy on all sides.
- Then add the sauce ingredients, followed by the cornstarch slurry and sesame oil to the pan.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for 3-4 days. Microwave for 1-2 minutes to rewarm.